Good news, everyone! The critically acclaimed film TATSUMI is returning to Toronto, in a screenings at TIFF Bell Lightbox running from Friday January 25th through Thursday January 31st. Details on the film and tickets are now available at http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiffbelllightbox/2013/2330006101.
Directed by Eric Khoo, TATSUMI is the innovative exploration of the life of comic author Yoshihiro Tatsumi, creator of Gekiga (“serious pictures” as opposed to Manga, which means “funny pictures”). Adapting his most renown period short stories, set in the time period following World War II, and incorporating elements of Tatsumi’s own life from the memoir A Drifting Life, TATSUMI is a fascinating, uniquely animated and performed film that has drawn ravesat Cannes, Dubai, Rotterdam, and around the world.
As you may remember, The Beguiling and TCAF partnered with Reel Asian Film Festival in November for a screening of this film, and I was a little disappointed to have missed it (I was in Japan for Kaigai Manga Festa at the time). I’m personally really stoked that this film is back and at TIFF, and I hope everyone who missed its previous screening will get a chance to come out for this one.
Oh, and of course, all of Yoshihiro Tatsumi’s graphic novels adapted into this film are currently available for sale at The Beguiling, including The Push Man, Abandon The Old In Tokyo, Good-Bye, A Drifting Life, and Black Blizzard. We also have his post-A Drifting Life book, Fallen Words!
Check out the trailer for TATSUMI below, and just past that look for a special contest!
CONTEST: WIN TICKETS TO SEE TATSUMI AT TIFF!
The Beguiling and TIFF Bell Lightbox are teaming up to give three lucky people run-of-engagement passes for two to see TATSUMI between January 25th and 31st.
Want to win? Here’s what you need to do:
For a chance to win, make sure you’re subscribed to The Beguiling Mailing List and send an e-mail with your name, daytime telephone number, and “BLACK BLIZZARD” in the subject line to email@example.com before Friday, January 25th at 11am. 3 winners will be drawn and contacted from all valid entries at that time. Their first name may be announced on the website.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
- Subject line MUST contain entrant’s name, phone number, and “BLACK BLIZZARD” and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries must be made from an e-mail address subscribed to The Beguiling’s mailing list. Signup in the upper-right-corner of this on the front page of beguiling dot com. (Seriously, we check and we disqualify people not subscribed to the mailing list.)
- Entries must be received before Friday, January 25th, at 11am.
- Employees and family members of The Beguiling are not eligible to win.
- One entry per household/phone number.
- No purchase necessary, void where prohibited, no cash value, odds of winning depend on total number of entries received, etc.
- Chris @ The Beguiling