The Beguiling is proud to co-present FLOYD NORMAN: AN ANIMATED LIFE, a new documentary about the first African American hired at Disney in 1956 screening at Hot Docs Bloor Cinema on Sunday, February 19th. It looks like a good one, so if you want to guarantee your ticket to the special presentation with the director and a Skype Q&A with Floyd Norman himself, go grab one now. We’ll also be running a contest this week for tickets! Stay tuned.
Doc Soup Sundays: FLOYD NORMAN: AN ANIMATED LIFE
Pick an influential era of American animation within the last 60 years, and there is a good chance Floyd Norman was there. In 1956, he was the first African American hired at Disney, starting a career that also took him to Hanna-Barbera and Pixar. He was forcibly retired at 65, but his creativity is matched only by his tenacity, so he continues to work out of a vacant cubicle at Disney publishing. “I miss being around the action,” says Norman. “I found an empty office and I moved in. I was probably in violation of some rule or law or whatever, but there I was.” Whether facing racism or ageism, this self-avowed troublemaker never backs down.
Filmmaker Michael Fiore will be in attendance for a Skype Q&A with Floyd Norman.
SUN, FEB 19, 11:00 AM
WIN 1 of 8 DOUBLE-PASSES TO THE EXCLUSIVE SCREENING OF FLOYD NORMAN: AN ANIMATED LIFE!
To enter to win one of 8 double passes for the advance screening of FLOYD NORMAN: AN ANIMATED LIFE on February 19th, all you all you have to do is make sure you’re subscribed to The Beguiling mailing list (sign-up is in the upper-left corner of beguilingbooksandart.com), and send an email with your name, phone number, and “ANIMATED LIFE” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday, February 13th, 2017, at 11am. We’ll draw and e-mail the winners that day.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
- Subject line MUST contain entrant’s name, phone number, and “ANIMATED LIFE” and must be sent to email@example.com.
- Entries must be made from an e-mail address subscribed to The Beguiling’s mailing list. Signup on the front page of http://www.beguilingbooksandart.com. (Seriously, we check and we disqualify people not subscribed to the mailing list.)
- Entries must be received before Monday, February 13th, 2017, at 11am.
- Employees and family members of The Beguiling are not eligible to win.
- One entry per person/phone number.
- No purchase necessary, void where prohibited, no cash value, odds of winning depend on total number of entries received, etc.
Good luck to all entrants! And yes, you can absolutely enter this contest AND any other contest we have going on at the same time.