The Beguiling and The Toronto Comic Arts Festival are proud to join with French film festival CINEFRANCO to present a screening of Quai d’Orsay, based on the graphic novel by TCAF Featured Guests Abel Lanzac and Christophe Blain. The film, about the fast-baced, coniving, and hilarious world of international diplomacy, is adapted from the bestselling French graphic albums, which will be released in North America at TCAF under the title Weapons of Mass Diplomacy. We are of course thrilled to present this very special screening, and we encourage all of our customers and friends to encourage this screening ahead of Blain and Lanzac’s rare North American appearance at TCAF, May 10th and 11th. The Cinefranco website is http://cinefranco.com
About Quai d’Orsay:
Arthur Vlaminck, a young graduate from the prestigious National School of Administration, thinks he has hit the jackpot with his new job as the speechwriter of the French Minister of Foreign Affairs, the exuberant Alexandre Taillard de Worms. Little does he know that he is stepping into the hellish maze of diplomacy filled with armies of advisors, assistants, a well-attuned to power Chief of staff … and all of them pulling dirty tricks on each other.
Bertrand Tavernier delivers a crazy, fast-paced comedy deriving its rhythm from the script lines, the theatrical gestures and the nervous way he shoots the film in split screens and tracking shots. We never get tired of watching Thierry Lhermitte flail around, slam doors and make everybody’s life miserable. Raphaël Personnaz and Niels Arestrup, to name a few actors, follow his brilliant footsteps.
Screening Saturday, April 5, at 6:15pm at The Royal Cinema, 608 College Street. Tickets available at cinefranco.com.
Contest: Win Passes to see Quai d’Orsay and a rare advance copy of the English-language Weapons of Mass Diplomacy graphic novel!
To enter to win one of two prize packages, which include two tickets to the April 5th screening of Quai d’Orsay and one advance copy of Weapons of Mass Diplomacy, all you have to do is make sure you’re subscribed to The Beguiling mailing list (sign-up is in the upper-right corner of this site), and send an email with your name, phone number, and “ISAACTHEPIRATE” to email@example.com before Monday, March 31st, at 11:00am. We’ll draw and e-mail the winners by noon on that day. Film screens Saturday, April 5th, at 6:15pm.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
- Subject line MUST contain entrant’s name, phone number, and “ISAACTHEPIRATE”, and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries must be made from an e-mail address subscribed to The Beguiling’s mailing list. Signup on the front page of http://www.beguilingbooksandart.com. (Seriously, we check and we disqualify people not subscribed to the mailing list.)
- Entries must be received before Monday, March 31st, 2014, at 11:00am.
- Employees and family members of The Beguiling are not eligible to win.
- One entry per person/phone number.
- No purchase necessary, void where prohibited, no cash value, odds of winning depend on total number of entries received, etc.
- Chris @ The Beguiling